In the past I've seen projects fail or delayed due to the difficulty in managing project teams across different areas of a single organisation or, worse yet, across organisations.
The tools used to manage project teams often do not translate across organisational silos.
Fortunately, in a connected world, we can do better. Below is one vision of how to run a major project (at low cost) using secure and well established online tools.
You'll see most of them in my Top Tools list - and, yes, I've eaten my own dogfood.
- Create a secure Govdex group to centralise project information and allow project team members to collaboratively develop project documents (as wiki pages)
- Use a Yahoo group or Google group to manage an email discussion list and calendar
- Use Mindjet to brainstorm the project
- Use Google docs to collaboratively work on project tasks and formal documents such as a risk register and issues list
- Use Basecamp or Copperproject for project timelining and gantt charting
- Use Webex for video conferencing across the team, or free voice conferences via Skype
- Use Flickr or Photodump to store photos and images
- Create and manage a project blog/diary via Blogger (public or private)
- Share PowerPoint presentations via Slideshare
- Share project videos via YouTube